October 16, 2009

Assignment for my class. Thought I'd share

I’ve never been deathly allergic of anything, that I know of. When I was younger there was a small part of me that would get jealous over people saying “I’m allergic to nuts” “I’m allergic to dogs”. I could touch dogs, cats, flowers and eat all sorts of nuts. I was playing with two of my best friends one day when we decided to make lunch. Raman Noodles was the lunch of choice, and I didn’t want those. Two out of three votes meant we were going to eat them anyway. I don’t know if I knew the definition of allergic; sensitivity to certain foods or objects, causing reactions such as swelling, puffy eyes, coughing and sneezing. My dad has hay fever. I told my friends Mom that I was allergic to Raman Noodles. She gave me an odd look. On the plus side I didn’t have to eat them.

I’ve always wondered why we as humans crave what we don’t have. A naturally curly haired girl loading on the skinny shampoo and conditioner, adding in the straightening gel before blow drying, flat ironing the beautiful curl, and topping it off with some gloss. Viola! The truth about her curls is hidden, until it rains, or she wakes up late and doesn’t have time to go through the de-curling process. Perfectly healthy young women seek to have the “perfect body”. They put themselves through extreme diets, idolize models and stars. There are neighbors trying to ‘one up’ each other with the newest televisions [HDTV!! I don’t own a t.v.], atvs, boats, cars, wives, children’s success, job success etc. Then there is the young 10 year old girl that just wants to have some type of allergy, to anything!

“Be careful what you wish for”. Why does that phrase hold such a negative connotation? There is a belief that I hold dear to my heart: Karma. I believe that what you wish, hope, dream or desire will eventually come true. If one is consciously making an effort and keeping a good attitude they will become an author [me?], a wife, a mother, a teacher, etc. What about bad Karma? Should we be careful what you wish for?

I was in a very nasty car accident at the beginning of this year. I fell asleep at the wheel while driving on the free way. I drifted off the road, onto the frozen snowy side, and at 60 mph I came to a dead stop when my car hit a dead tree, smack dab in the middle. Even with my seat belt on [back then there was a 50/50 chance I wasn’t wearing one] I sustained multiple head injuries, minor concussion, my leg was jammed, my body was in complete shock. I thank God for a few things, one being angels. If I hadn’t worn my seatbelt I would have surely been extracted through the front windshield and I may have had horrendous injuries or possibly not breathing at all. I also thank him for sending me a few to keep me calm.

I don’t remember much, I barely remember hitting the tree, in the back of my head I recall hands reaching in, talking to me. “What’s your name? What day is it? What hurts more your head, or your knee?” I felt the warm blood on my head, I couldn’t feel my leg. All I remember saying in response was “I’m Cold”. In the hospital I remember being pricked and prodded. “I need water” I said repeatedly, and I was still cold. They had retrieved my phone and asked if they should call anyone. I told them to call Radison. He was a few hours away on a school assignment, but he was the last person I talked to before the accident. I was very coherent at this point, even though I could barely feel anything but an icy chill, and thirst. My parents were too far away. I remember thinking “The burtons. Gideon doesn’t teach today, and Karen has the day off of school”.

I was sufficiently calm, and even aggravated that I hadn’t gotten water, but over all I was managing. Then I saw a familiar face, my best friends Dad came near my bed. Thus began the water works. Karen showed up next, my two sisters and eventually my mom.

Months later when I was talking with my Mom one day (She sometimes still brings it up) she asked “Do you know why you got in your accident? Sometimes we create situations in our lives” Did I wish for this to happen? Was this bad Karma? Payment? A lesson from God? I do believe if we have a negative attitude in life then not too many good things will happen, and I’m sure bad Karma exists. We all carry certain energy, good or bad. Payment for my sins? I doubt it. I think more likely it was a lesson that God wanted to teach me rather than him thinking “Oh she stole that piece of candy, and lied about a food allergy, she is going to get it”. Really though, the truth of it all, can I have a moment of silence before I reveal? It’s JUST LIFE and in life, things happen. I definitely didn’t ‘create’ or wish for a horrific accident in my life, it just happened. Some people blame God when tragedy hits. Or they ask, why me? Why me? Whether God makes certain things happen in life for a reason is up to you. I know he can be there for you. He has often answered my silent prayers. I’ve never blamed him when things such as car accidents or family members get sick. Learn from it, move on, and make life better is what I say.

A good friend of mine lent me a book that was about the basic beliefs of Buddhism. Buddhist believes that everything in life is connected, and therefore there is no beginning, or end. I don’t celebrate birthdays for myself, I celebrate Continuation Days. It makes sense I promise. I was born, physically, in May. If I were to really celebrate my ‘birth’ we would have to go to the day I was first conceived. The line continues however. My parents were physically born and conceived as well. It is all continuous. Everything in life is connected. I use paper, as a writer and lover of notebooks, nearly everyday. There were machines used to make the paper, was the paper recycled? Did someone else once use my new paper as a letter to a friend? A shopping list? A doodle pad? Where did the paper originally come from? How did that tree come about to grow? Did someone plant it? Was it an older tree? The soil nourishes it, the sun and rain helped it to grow. Life is a huge continuation. I don’t think I could live as a Buddhist, but they have great values that I think should be incorporated in everyone’s lives. We all need a little bit of peace in our lives, and Buddhism offers it.

For me Nature has always been a part of me that keeps my sanity. I do my best to appreciate the little things. I love the days when the weather is perfect for jackets. I’m a jacket addict, but that’s beside the point. When the rain softly falls, bringing that clean smell, and the tree’s drip with the moisture. The air itself isn’t cold, and you can actually stand to be outside. Moments like these put my life in a standstill. I could be walking to my car and forced to be in the rain. It’s the rain that calms me; especially on the days I need it. The days when I want to cry, the skies cry for me. When I need to smell something fresh, as opposed to the polluted norm, the enticing smell of rain soothes me. I’m glad I’m not allergic to the rain. There has to be a God up in heaven. I’ve read a few accounts of people who have ‘died’ and experienced heavenly encounters. Most all of them say they either felt a man present, or were greeted by a man. God is male, that’s what I’m trying to say. God also knows us intimately. God knows when I need to smell the rain, or when I need to glance up at the lush green mountains, or the white powdered streets. God knows how to protect me with his angels. God didn’t give me any known allergies. God created us to be who we are, and yet, we still secretly desire what we don’t have. Silly isn’t it? I’m very guilty of it.

I desperately tried my whole high school career to ‘fit in’. I dressed a certain way, only talked to certain people, and always worried that I would never be popular. I am happy to say that I broke out of that near the end of my Senor year. I decided to be myself, dress how I wanted, talk to whomever I pleased, and like whichever boys suited me. I used to blame my low self esteem on high school and the things related; popularity, looks, or cliques. As time has passed I still don’t have the happiest memories of high school. To me it was a place full of low self esteem and put me downs. I thought I’d gotten over it though. The past year my self confidence has yet again been shattered. I’m not trying to be anyone other than myself, and as I search for what is the cause all I have to do is look in the mirror. My insecurities may be somewhat justified, but I blame no one in particular. I try to keep a positive attitude in hopes that eventually my desire to accept myself for who I am will surface.

MJ

2 comments:

JENNY WILL BE PERFECT... said...

i love this blog so much. i found it so interesting i had to read the whole blog, some posts actually brought me to tears. this post is very well written. it made me think..eg. know what good and bad karma is, but do i really beilive in it..or do i just think its all God's will?..& if so, could it be God letting me suffer?..if so, how do i feel about that..?
keep up the good work hunni.xx

Cynthia said...

i can relate to all that you are saying in this post - from the
paper & writing fetish to trying to fit in high school.